- Children's Legal Program Staff Attorney, FL, USA
AI Justice is seeking a qualified, full-time Staff Attorney for its work with unaccompanied immigrant children. Reporting to the Children's Legal Program Director, the Staff Attorney will provide comprehensive legal services to children in immigration shelters in South Florida.
The Children's Legal Program Staff Attorney will be responsible for the following:
- Legal representation in immigration proceedings before the Immigration Court; appellate proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals; proceedings before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and proceedings in state family and juvenile courts within the Miami Immigration Court jurisdiction
- Represent clients seeking immigration benefits, including asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status, and/or T or U nonimmigrant status, and state court orders necessary to support SIJ applications
- Conducting legal screenings of detained and non-detained unaccompanied minors to determine eligibility for legal relief and representation by AI Justice
- Providing advice and counsel to unaccompanied minors
- Complying with other program reporting
- Preference for two years' experience in immigration law, including experience with Special Immigrant Juvenile, asylum, VAWA, T and/or U visa cases
- Preference for experience in family, child welfare and/or juvenile law related matters
- Preference for experience working with children, domestic violence victims and/or other victims of trauma
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills; strong communication and group leadership skills
- Interest in policy advocacy at the national level
- Excellent presentation skills for community outreach, education and training
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds
- Experience with immigration and/or child dependency legal clinics in law school would be especially helpful
- Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish required
- Must have own transportation
- Must be willing to submit to an extensive background check, including FBI, statewide repository, and sex offender registry checks
- Juris Doctor degree
- Florida Bar membership
This is a full-time, permanent position. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
How to apply:
You may also mail your resume to Human Resources, Americans for Immigrant Justice, 3000 Biscayne Blvd., #400, Miami, FL 33137.
Due to the large response, only complete applications will be considered and only those applicants invited to interview will be contacted. Please do not call and do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
Open until filled. Must be ready to begin employment immediately.
Apply online here
Posted on 20 September 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying for this position