- Deputy Director of Operations, Gender Equality, NY, USA
Deputy Director of Operations, Gender Equality
The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Location: USA – New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works withpeople forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power.
The IRC is a global leader in transforming the lives of women and girls. The Gender Equality (GE) Unit is a new technical unit at the IRC focused on narrowing the gender gap in humanitarian aid. The unit is charged with ensuring that we contribute to the equality of women and girls in all of our programs – by working to establish a context where men, women, boys, and girls enjoy the same rights and opportunities. In addition, the IRC believes there is a symbiotic relationship between how we operate as an organization, and the success of the programming that we deliver and changes we seek to make in local communities. Therefore, the GE Unit is also tasked with partnering with operations departments to ensure that IRC is a gender equitable employer. Together the relevant departments and the GE team will support the necessary changes to the IRC’s internal policies and practices to promote the equal access to opportunities for all of our staff.
The Gender Equality (GE) Deputy Director position is a critical leadership position in driving forward this work especially focused on internal-facing operational change. Based in the Gender Equality Unit, the Deputy Director will lead the integration of gender equality into IRC’s operational areas of focus: human resources, safety and security and foundational structures. This position will work closely with leadership in each of these departments as well as leaders in other operational and programmatic areas across the organization. The position will be a conduit for translating globally designed change initiatives to the field through the GE Regional Advisors and operational partners. In addition, the Deputy Director will work closely with the GE Senior Director to ensure that systems and processes are in place to monitor progress and provide timely and efficient operational support to the unit’s activities.
- Provide leadership to the development and implementation of GE initiatives within the areas of human resources, safety/security and organization-wide foundational structures. This includes detailed planning, technical support and capacity building to operational partners and technical resource generation.
- Oversee the implementation of pilot initiatives to test new practices ensuring necessary plans, resources, communication protocols and monitoring structures are in place. Such initiatives might include training modules, staff recruitment practices or staff engagement practices.
- Liaise with all internal IRC stakeholders to ensure regular communication and coordination on operational initiatives at both a global and regional level.
- Develop and maintain a centralized system to track and monitor progress per the existing IRC Gender Equality Scorecard which includes annual milestones and indicators.
- Maintain an updated understanding of industry and other relevant sector practices related to gender equality organizational change
- Represent the IRC in key fora, and particularly in relation to IRC’s gender equality commitment and approach.
- Act on behalf of the Senior Director during periods where s/he is traveling or absent.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Director, Gender Equality Technical Unit
Position directly supervises: n/a
Internal: The Deputy Director will collaborate closely with IRC country offices and with other IRC departments that include Safety and Security, Human Resources, and Ethics and Compliance.
External: Serve as Technical Unit representative in outside meetings and academic forums with donors, other non-governmental organizations, inter-agency groups and foundations as requested by the Technical Director.
Education: Graduate degree in relevant field
Work Experience: Minimum ten years progressive experience in non-profit sector, ideally humanitarian aid, focused on gender integration in operations/internal organizational structures and/or programming.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Successful candidate must:
- Have successful experience leading gender integration in operational support functions, including systems and processes development.
- Be able to translate complex solutions into actionable work streams.
- Demonstrate the ability to think creatively, logically and critically about potential solutions to gender gaps.
- Display confidence and capacity in partnering with senior leaders as well as front-line field staff.
- Demonstrate stellar communication skills to motivate and engage staff.
Language Skills: Fluent in English; additional language skills a plus
Working Environment: Travel up to 25% of time.
Apply online here
Posted on 30 September 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying for this position