- Communications Manager, Global Partnership, NY, USA
Communications Manager, Global Partnership
The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Location: USA – New York, NY - HQ
More than 80 years after Albert Einstein helped create the International Rescue Committee, the number and intensity of humanitarian crises across the globe warrant a dose of Einstein-inspired vision.
Every month, nearly one million people flee their homes because of conflicts or natural disasters. With few wars ending, and new wars starting, the number of people displaced has surpassed 65million, the most since World War II. Their growing and increasingly complex needs mandate a transformation—a creative rethinking—in the global humanitarian response.
Our strategy – IRC 2020 – is our answer. We are building programs that rebuild lives, providing more and faster rescue and relief, creating the capacity for systematic research to develop innovative approaches to crisis situations, and building collaboration with the public, private and nonprofit sectors
Job Overview/Job Summary:
As a key member of the IRC’s Global Communications team, the Communications Manager will implement the day to day communication strategies that bring the IRC’s story and profile to new audiences, especially targeted influential consumer audiences and the private sector.
The Communications Manager will support the communications needs within an existing portfolio of partners, working with multiple departments and stakeholders to deliver measurable communications results.
The person in this role will be a communications expert who:
- Maximizes external coverage of IRC partnerships that includes, joint opportunities, activations, earned media, social engagement and creative product development
- Pitches consumer and private sector focused media, highlighting IRC’s programmatic work and thought leadership.
- Drafts press releases, statements and pitches.
- Writes op-eds, blogs and talking points.
- Works with IRC’s social and digital teams to collect content and ensures the timely and strategic dissemination of it.
- Responds in a timely manner to internal communications requests relevant to IRC’s institutional partners.
- Develops and maintains annual calendar of events and identifies new speaking / engagement opportunities for IRC leadership.
- Builds and maintains consumer and private sector focused press lists.
- Tracks earned media coverage and compiles quarterly metrics.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Director of Global Communications, Programs and Partnerships
Position directly supervises: n/a
Indirect Reporting: n/a
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Work with global communications colleagues, writers, content creators, IRC advocates and fundraisers.
External: Work with journalists, media producers and editors, strategic influencers and communications colleagues from partner organizations
- 2+ years in Consumer and/or Brand communications in the NGO or Cause-Marketing sectors
- Private sector or agency experience preferred.
- A creative thinker who’s able to navigate complexity and ambiguity to get to the heart of and cultivate a great story.
- A generalist who drives Communications across channels, e.g., video, digital, social, internal and media.
- Communications “hard skills,” e.g., a terrific writer with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch and secure feature coverage in top-tier media.
This position is based at the IRC's headquarters in New York.
Apply online here
Posted on 30 September 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying for this position