- Research & Program Associate, Democracy Program, NY, USA
Research & Program Associate, Democracy Program
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law
Location: USA – New York, NY
The Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law is a nonpartisan public policy and law institute that focuses on improving the systems of democracy and justice. A singular institution – part think-tank, part public interest law firm, part advocacy group – the Brennan Center combines research, scholarship, legislative and legal advocacy, and communications to win meaningful, measurable change in the public sector.
The Brennan Center’s Democracy Program advances and defends core democratic values and includes projects dedicated to expanding the right to vote, improving the administration of our election systems, reducing the corrupting influence of money in politics, maintaining the impartiality of the judiciary, and ensuring a fair redistricting process. The program seeks to bring the ideal of representative self-government closer to reality, by eliminating barriers to full and equal political participation and by striving to ensure that public policy and institutions represent and reflect the diverse voices and interests that make for a rich and energetic democracy. Project areas include voting rights and elections, money in politics, fair courts, redistricting, and government dysfunction.
Position: The Brennan Center seeks a full-time Research & Program Associate to work in the Brennan Center’s Democracy Program. This position will report directly to the attorneys in charge of the relevant project area.
- Conducting legal and factual research and data analysis.
- Drafting and editing publications, reports, newsletters, blog posts, and other public communications.
- Performing a wide range of administrative, database, paralegal support, and program management tasks, including (but not limited to) making travel arrangements, copy-editing, and checking citations.
- Organizing and staffing program and Center events.
- Working with attorneys, fellows, communications and development professionals, editors, allies, clients, other research and program associates, and organizational leadership.
Overtime (compensated at 1½ times the regular hourly rate) may be required before deadlines.
A significant portion of the Research & Program Associate’s time may be spent on administrative tasks, depending on program priorities.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree (this is an entry level position; lawyers and individuals with advanced degrees will not be considered).
- Exceptional writing skills and excellent analytic, strategic, research, and organizational skills.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for the work of the Center.
- The ability to work effectively in a team-based and deadline-driven environment.
- Openness to receiving and implementing constructive feedback.
- Creativity in ferreting out information.
- Ease working with data and statistics; experience with Excel helpful but not required.
- Strong communications skills and confidence to reach out to allies, public officials, reporters, and members of the public.
- Fluency in Spanish helpful, but not required.
Salary: $45,000 - 59,000, commensurate with years of experience. Excellent benefits package. For more information about the Brennan Center, visit www.brennancenter.org.
Applications: Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis, and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. Applications are due on or before Friday, February 16. The anticipated starting date for this position is after the Memorial Day holiday (with some flexibility as to an earlier or later start date), and a firm two-year commitment is required.
As an equal opportunity affirmative action employer, the Brennan Center is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender identities and expressions, and sexual orientations, and applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
Apply online here
Posted on 01 November 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying for this position