- Refugee Representation Non-Legal Intern (NY), NY, USA
Human Rights First
New York, NY, USA
The Refugee Representation intern will assist the team by providing general support. We are looking for currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate students who have a strong interest in and commitment to human rights, are fluent in a relevant second language, want to work on behalf of asylum-seekers, and possess excellent organizational and communication skills.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
• Drafting and editing documents;
• Updating and maintaining databases;
• Monitoring news and researching country conditions;
• Filing; and if the intern speaks a relevant second language fluently, interpretation may be involved;
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Desired Skills And Experience
• Fluency in a second language (preference will be given to Spanish, French, Arabic, Mandarin and Russian speakers);
• Excellent writing and editing skills;
• Excellent research skills;
• Strong attention to detail;
• As the program deals daily with indigent asylum seekers who are often survivors of torture, it is important that the intern be comfortable speaking and listening during times of emotional crises;
• Background in human rights;
• Initiative and enthusiasm.
EDUCATION: Currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, an accredited undergraduate or graduate university.
PAID/UNPAID INTERNSHIP: Unpaid, but credit may be available through candidates’ schools
TERM DATES: Spring (Mid January - Early May), Summer (Early June - Mid August), and Fall (Early September - Early December)
TIME COMMITMENT: Spring and Fall Semesters - Part time, minimum of 15 hours per week. Summer – Full time, minimum of 35 hours per week.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
Interested candidates should submit a Resume, Cover Letter, and Writing Sample
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
Job posted on 10th July 2018.
Please mention Human Rights Jobs while applying for this position.