- Director of Research & Investigations, USA
• Work closely with the Executive Management Team and other senior managers to ensure the focus and objectives of the Research and Investigations program aligns with PHR’s organizational vision and strategy.
• Oversee the supervision, mentorship and development of the Research and Investigations staff in all locations.
• Lead efforts to establish new programmatic areas of work, including forensic documentation and rapid response investigations, including field work when appropriate and travel as required.
• Serve as a sounding board to the Director of Programs on designing, implementing, and launching successful programs that utilize PHR’s skills and expertise to investigate, document, and advocate to prevent human rights violations.
• Provide input to the Director of Programs on decisions regarding policy positions, public statements, sign on letters, campaigns etc.
• Oversee the research and reporting of the Research and Investigations program including reviewing the content and messaging of PHR reports, media statements, materials, public positions and representation.
• Work with the Advocacy team to ensure that an impact-driven and integrated advocacy approach runs throughout all Research and Investigations work.
• Monitor global human rights issues and emerging conflicts and make informed recommendations as appropriate for organizational engagement; contextualize rights violations within the broader political, historical, and social environments in target countries.
• Develop and execute innovative tools to best communicate PHR’s findings including well-substantiated and compelling findings and other communications materials (i.e. opinion pieces) on human rights and humanitarian rights violations.
• Ensure that PHR’s research methods and reports comply with internal review processes (including ethical and editorial review), comport with the highest standards, ensure confidentiality and informed consent, and safeguard research data and forensic evidence.
• Develop and engage in external relationships with policy leaders, human rights organizations, academic institutions, donors and others.
• Represent PHR at external conferences, professional associations, academic institutions, government and other policy making organizations, and other public venues as appointed by the Director of Programs and in line with areas of program focus.
• Partner with the Director of Programs in implementing security protocols with anyone working in the Research and Investigations team.
• Liaise with the Communications department and represent PHR in the media, post blogs, op-ed etc. as required to advance the work of the organization.
• Coordinate closely with the Development department, ensuring Research and Investigations staff respond promptly to requests for information and meet current and prospective donors where requested.
• Continually express, model, and reinforce a culture of transparency, proactivity and resourcefulness that empowers program teams to deliver outstanding work.
• Participate in the financial planning (budgeting) process and in results analysis, to maximize PHR’s long-term viability and impact.
• Be able to work flexible hours and to respond to crises and urgent situations.
• Travel as required to conduct fact-finding investigations and engage in advocacy.
• Carry out other functions requested by the Director of Programs.
• At least 10 years progressive experience at nonprofit or international organizations, foundations, or government agencies with a minimum of 5 years in a senior management position.
• Extensive research experience in international human rights or related work including investigations, reporting and advocacy.
• Extensive knowledge of international and human rights law, global advocacy, and international justice mechanisms.
• Excellent writing and editing skills and demonstrated ability to defend and explain complex issues and translate information about them to broad audiences including senior officials and intergovernmental bodies.
• Able to execute of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities.
• Effective and inclusive leader comfortable working in a cross-cultural setting
• Able to remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations.
• A self-starter, self-disciplined with spark, imagination, and creativity.
• Comfortable dealing with the media and public speaking.
• Able to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity, creativity, flexibility, passion for the program mission, patience, and a good sense of humor.
• Able to work collaboratively, effectively and professionally with multiple stakeholders and organizations.
Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
Job posted on 23rd July 2018
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying to this position