- Consultant Labour auditing and Human Rights, UK
Consultant Labour auditing and Human Rights
ERM has delivered Human Rights related work for more than 20 years around the world, largely by our Social consultants per IFC Performance Standards, etc. As relevant in recent decades our teams have also investigated and worked with clients advising on remediation of poor labour conditions such as child labour in Mica mining, slavery in Thai fishing, and re conflict minerals and factories, etc. In recent years we have increased our advisory to our corporate, banking, and other clients on how they can best undertake Human Rights Due Diligence per the UNGPs, applying our global teams experience on the ground working in local languages and conditions, aligned with Boardroom experience towards clients meeting international standards.
ERM are growing our Human Rights Advisory services, frequently supplement our Environmental Social Governance (ESG) reviews with labour conditions “social audits”, and seek a Consultant trained and experienced in labour conditions auditing to join our London team. This is an exciting opportunity for a consultant with a passion for Human Rights, Ethical Trade, Labour Standards and keen to pragmatically advise businesses on how they might meet, or influence business partners to meet Corporate Responsibility, Human Rights and Sustainability expectations.
This Consultant will gain valuable experience working with the ERM “M&A” (Mergers and Acquisitions) due diligence team and clients, large financial institutions and with listed and private corporate clients and. Work will include arranging and managing labour audits around the world when needed, assessing and interpreting such “social audit” findings into ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) reports, conducting labour audits when necessary, supporting coaching and training to other team members in labour standards and social auditing, and supporting general labour and human rights standards advisory. You will gain valuable experience from work assisting on a variety of projects across many industries. You will have the opportunity to not only to work with our UK clients, but also on global projects with international ERM colleagues.
ERM attracts and seeks knowledgeable, motivated and flexible candidates. Prospective candidates should have a professional and positive approach, at least two year’s experience in auditing, consulting or inhouse professional work, has undertaken at least 25 “social audits” to international standards, has good research, writing and powerpoint and/or excel skills and is keen to further develop their Human Rights skills further in a consultancy environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under management of a Principal Consultant Human Rights, with 15 years’ experience working in supply chain labour conditions, you will:
· Research human rights, modern slavery, and labour conditions issues and analyse per project needs.
· Lead, deliver , and/or manage labour conditions “social audits” to international standards;
· Review social audit reports, create action plans, summarise into higher level reports on company management of Environmental, Social governance.
· Apply your expertise and support development of Human Rights, Modern Slavery, ESG, Responsible Sourcing and related proposals, reports, workshops, presentations and other advisory or deliverables for clients and internal teams under instruction and per project needs. Benchmark company’s efforts against the UNGPs (UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights), OECD guidelines, UK Modern Slavery Act Transparency in Supply Chains, etc (UK MSA TISC) clause guidance expectations, etc.
· Potentially participate in field based Environmental Social Due Diligence assessments and/or safety auditing if you have strong safety training
Required Attributes and Skills:
SA8000 trained and certified (and/or FLA, ILO or Fairwear training and auditing)
Experience in Responsible Sourcing/Ethical Trade in brands, or in auditing or consulting firms or NGOs.
Experience conducting at least 25 “Social Audits” of labour conditions
Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel and Word
Excellent English language skills, both spoken and written
· Client consulting and advisory skills and research skills
Experience and skills also valued include any of:
A Bachelors degree; post-Graduate study would be valued
Language fluency, any, but particularly eastern European, Arabic, Asian languages and/or French
Experience working as a member of, auditing to, or in the UK ETI, the FLA, EICC, SEDEX, GSCP or in NGOs
· Human Rights training and experience, familiarity with and/or experience working with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs) and/or OECD Guidelines
· Experience working on Human Rights, ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance), Ethical Trade/Responsible Sourcing, and/or CR (Corporate Responsibility) through either roles in a business, consulting firm, and/or post-graduate research, and/or roles in an NGO, institutes, or relevant initiatives
· Previous experience within a similar role, ideally within industry or consultancy.
Job posted on 8 November 2017.