Department : Middle East North Africa and Southwest Asia
Location : Amman
Application Deadline : March 30, 2017
The Open Society Foundations works to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. The Open Society Foundations’ Arab Regional Office (ARO) was established in 2006 to support local civil society in its efforts to protect human rights and build vibrant and tolerant societies. Based in Amman and with a satellite office in Tunis, ARO supports a diverse group of civil society organizations, research centers, universities, and media organizations across the Arab world in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Tunisia.
Reporting to the Regional Manager of the ARO in Amman, Jordan, the Communications Officer would be responsible for developing and implementing the office’s communications and outreach strategy for the Arab Region. He/she will be working closely with program staff on their communications needs, and with the Office of Communications in New York and London to coordinate media outreach and relations, strategic communications, publications, and online content.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include to:
• Devise and implement appropriate external communications strategy for the Arab Regional Office.
• Coordinate closely with ARO program staff in the integration of communications approaches in programming.
• Cultivate relations with ARO partners in the region, stay abreast of their activities, and provide strategic communications support when needed.
• Produce and curate ARO web content, including the writing and editing of blogs.
• Assist ARO and its partner organizations to develop messages and identify key media opportunities.
• Manage ARO social media accounts and increase their outreach.
• Draft and edit brochures, press releases, and internal briefings, and other output as needed.
• Establish and cultivate relationships with local and regional print, broadcast, and online media in the region.
• Monitor, evaluate and improve ARO and its partners’ media outreach efforts.
• Monitor the local and regional Arab media.
• Handle requests for media interviews and assist in organizing events.
• Experience as a journalist or communications professional with a minimum of eight years’ work experience.
• Superior Arabic and English-language writing, editing, research, and verbal skills; French proficiency is a plus.
• Proven experience in the development and execution of communications strategies.
• Experience in carrying out advocacy or strategic communications.
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with hard deadlines.
• Flexibility and willingness to work as a team member and independently, and with a high level of self-motivation.
• Knowledge and familiarity with local and regional social and political contexts as well as the NGO and donor organizations communities.
• Ability to coordinate tasks with colleagues and partners in different countries and time zones.
• Knowledge of graphic design software is a plus.
• Integrity, professional discretion, and ability to handle confidential matters.
Please include a Cover Letter as part of your application.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
Job posted on 15th March 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying to this position
|< Prev||Next >|