- Public Interest Fellowship – Fall 2018, DC, USA
Public Interest Fellowship – Fall 2018
Muslim Advocates (MA)
Location: USA – Washington, DC
Description – Overview
Muslim Advocates (MA), a national legal advocacy and educational organization, seeks applications for a sponsored fellowship such as Skadden, Equal Justice Works, or other public interest fellowships to begin in the fall of 2018. MA encourages rising third-year law students, judicial clerks, and other recent law school graduates interested in joining a dynamic and growing legal team fighting at the cutting edge of civil rights in the United States to apply. MA is seeking to sponsor applicants to be based in our Washington, DC office.
Muslim Advocates has been fighting to promote freedom, justice, and equality for Americans of all faiths since 2005. In addition to conducting legal advocacy, policy engagement, and civic education, MA utilizes targeted litigation in order to protect and defend the rights of American Muslims. Our work includes projects aimed at addressing discriminatory surveillance programs, hate crimes, and border search issues; we are also directly engaged in challenging the unconstitutional Muslim travel ban. In addition, MA continues to serve as a legal resource aimed at educating American Muslims about the law and their rights as well as promoting their full and meaningful participation in American public life.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with MA staff attorneys and other staff members on trial and appellate litigation in state and federal courts.
- Conduct legal research and analysis.
- Conduct interviews with witnesses and potential MA clients.
- Draft and prepare legal memoranda and other legal documents.
- Contribute to policymaking and/or other forms of advocacy.
- Create non-legal advocacy materials in support of education and outreach efforts.
- Other projects related to MA’s legal, policy, and civic education work as they arise.
- J.D. or expected to receive J.D. by the spring of 2018.
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting civil rights and addressing issues of inequality and injustice.
- Outstanding research, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to MA’s mission.
How to Apply
Apply online here
Posted on 09 August 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying for this position