- Manager of Organizing and Advocacy, DC, USA
Manager of Organizing and Advocacy
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (“Lawyers’ Committee”)
Location: USA – Washington, D.C
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (“Lawyers’ Committee”), one of the nation’s leading civil rights organizations based in Washington D.C., seeks an experienced organizer to serve as the Manager of Organizing and Advocacy. The Manager of Organizing and Advocacy will serve as the Lawyers’ Committee’s chief organizer, crafting a strategic vision for the work and leading a team of organizers in the development and implementation of large scale programs, advocacy efforts and other non-litigation tactics to collaborate and work in partnership with litigation approaches to address critical civil rights issues.
The Manager of Organizing and Advocacy will work across a variety of civil rights topics. S/he will work closely with existing Lawyers’ Committee allies and partners and will expand that network. The ideal candidate must be a strategic planner with demonstrated experience in executing broad-based campaigns. Applicants should have a good temperament, a sense of humor, the ability to work collegially under the pressure of a fast paced environment with tight deadlines, and comfort working in a diverse environment. The Manager of Organizing and Advocacy will work closely with Project Directors and will report directly to the Vice President of Policy and Strategy.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience organizing in either political, non-partisan, issue-based or candidate campaigns on the national and/or state level
- Deep commitment to civil rights and racial justice
- Strong initiative, leadership and project management skills
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational skills, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and prioritize tasks effectively
- Experience managing and leading diverse coalitions is strongly peferred as is experience working with minority communities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Project Directors to develop organizing campaigns
- Develop strategic team plans, work with team of organizers to successfully implement program goals, and handle necessary changes or obstacles with flexibility and responsiveness
- Manage coalition outreach and relationships with national, state and local partners
- Work with Director of Pro Bono to develop strategies to engage pro bono volunteers and law firms
- Support the Development team fundraising efforts, collaborate on grant proposals and reports and maintain relationships with funders
- Work with the Communications team to develop communications plans for programs and campaigns, including working across teams to manage rapid response strategic communications
- Engage with and manage contracts with vendors
- Supervise organizing team members
Additional Desired Qualities
- Experience working in at least one of the Lawyers’ Committee’s issue areas
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts with vendors and partners
- Experience working with institutional partners to develop funding opportunities
- Background in developing data tracking systems and setting metrics for success;
- Understanding of technology, including volunteer management systems and dynamic databases;
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish or other languages a plus.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume and desired salary to https://podio.com/webforms/18809493/1265796. No calls with be accepted. The position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary and benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization.
The Lawyers’ Committee is an equal opportunity employer with a standing policy of nondiscrimination. Diversity is an essential component of the Lawyers’ Committee, and we encourage women and minorities to apply. All qualified persons are accorded an equal opportunity for selection without regard to actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, personal appearance, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected under law.
Apply online here
Posted on 9 September 2017
Please mention Human Rights Jobs when applying for this position